pages

 photo Mystory_zps48f66a9d.png  photo contact_zpsbb74311d.png  photo believe_zps69ceddd8.png

Jul 2, 2013

Its A{dorm}able part 2:

Good Eye Mite! (try saying that WITHOUT an australian accent...haha)

Welcome to part 2 of my "It's A{dorm}able series"! Im so happy you came back for more! Today we will be discussing the topic of clothes.

Hello. My name is Lucy Scholl, and I am a hoarder.

I definitely learned this to be true while trying to fit all of my clothes into my dorm room. Unfortunately I don't have great pictures of how i did most of my clothing, but I will do my best. It's pretty easy.

In no particular order,

Rule 1: If you're going to school where there is a change in season, organize by season. Don't leave your winter coats taking up room if you wont need them for a couple months. Under my bed is where 80% of my clothing lived.

Rule 2: Do. laundry. every. week. I know this sounds bad. But i promise if you just do it on a schedule your life will be much easier. I did mine every tuesday morning. Life saver. (Plus it kept our tiny room smelling good)

Rule 3: Just put your clothes away. If you decide to change outfits, or have a load of clothes right out of the dryer, just put them away. You're roommate will be very grateful you did. Fact.

Rule 4: Buy the thin velvet hangers. They really do save space. Really.

Organizing clothes in a dorm is not easy. Here's how I did it.

I stored a lot, in face most, of my clothes under my bed
Under my bed I could fit:
1 suitcase
1 guitar amp
2 bins with lids
2 (3 drawer) large bins
1 (3 drawer) small bin
and
1 dirty clothes hamper

*Like i said, i don't have very many pictures... sorry :/

In the far left large drawer bin i put sweaters/sweatshirts in the top two drawers and scarves in the bottom. (behind the stool... yes my bed was that tall. Yes I did fall off a couple times. I don't wanna talk about it)

In the middle smaller bin there was underwear in the top, socks in the middle, and a pj pants/bathing suits in the bottom

In the closest drawer bin there are mens style t-shirts in the top drawer, shorts and sweats in the middle, and ladies cut t shirts in the bottom drawer.

*Don't bring very many t-shirts with you to school. You will get plenty more. Promise.*

The laundry hamper was so awesome because it was the perfect fit between that last bin and the end of the bed. It looked like this... im pretty sure we picked it up at Walmart! (tacky picture... but i want to make sure I'm clear... seriously, this basket was a life saver.)







And while im talking about laundry, let me tell you the best decision I ever made. Waking up before everyone else to do laundry. 6 washers, 6 dryers. All to myself. And my roommate:) Shout out. (if you need to hang dry, buy a drying rack. We each had one and they saved us a lot of room) Speaking of my roommate.... How cute are we?! Meet Megan, my other half. You'll be hearing a lot about her.


Moving on.

Behind those bins, in the tubs under my bed I put out of season clothes, old textbooks (second semester), holiday decorations, and bulk items (things i bought at Costco for the bathroom)

WHEW, halfway done... this will be quick. I have pictures!

My closet was TINY. I've never seen a closet so small. But it worked:) Here is the front of my half. (Just to the right was my roommate identical closet space) We got the chalkboard vinyl at hobby lobby (the first of many hobby lobby finds)


 When you open the left side, this is what you see. Up top i kept an extra set of sheets, (so i didn't have to wait for the laundry to be done to make my bed), extra hangers, laundry detergent and softener, and an extra towel. In the box you see, there is an iron, a steamer, and a laundry bag.

Side note- the iron was awesome because the chord wrapped INTO the iron so there was no chord tangling going on. wooho! But for those days when I didn't want to iron anything (which was everyday...nothing changed mom.) I had this awesome little mini steamer that plugged in (t, used tap water, and was handheld. Talk about cool. The laundry bag I used for dry clean needed items and hung it on the back of our door on a coat rack. Double wooho!

Continuing...


The pink thin velvet hangers are from bed bath and beyond. The hanger extenders are from Walmart.  They allowed me to stack a lot of clothes onto one hangar. They were pretty awesome, though hard to hang things on after laundry without pulling the whole thing out. I hung cardigans, some jackets, button downs, some sweaters, skirts, and dresses.


This is the bottom of the clothes hung in the closet. In that bin on the bottom i put flat shoes and sandals. I stacked tennis shoes on top and on the right of that bin i put my cowboy boots. (yeehaw!)

Cant forget the duck face selfie. Hi cousin Clark!
 This mirror is on the inside of the left door. There is a towel rod below the mirror. This is so exciting. Still awake?



Inside the right door there are shelves and drawers! YAY! On the top shelf i put some heels and wedges. (alternating direction like that allowed me to put 2 more pair than i would have been able to all front facing. There are also some behind those... the shelves were deep. Real deep) In the boxes on the middle shelf are belts (on the right) and hair tools (on the left). The bottom shelf had zip up jackets, a pair of booties and i don't even know why that bag is there. Hmmm.



Then comes the leaning tower of drawers. From highest to lowest, they contain... 1. tank tops, undershirts 2. shirts 3. pants 4. pants 5. boots.... sorry I'm just trying to speed this up:) Questions? Leave a comment below.

WOOOOHOOOO! There is my clothing organization. Sorry it took a while but I hope that you got an idea or two for your dorm room from this long rant. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment! Thanks for sticking with me to the end! Let me know how you plan to organize your clothes in your dorm/apartment this year! Im always looking for new ideas!

Next time on A{dorm}able we'll be learning how to paint striped curtains:)


Until next time,
xx
 photo name_zps6d1dbf8b.png

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading these! Decorating and organizing my first dorm room in the fall and these tips are super super helpful! And don't worry.. it's highly entertaining! Keep writing :) I'll be looking for part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is that pink quilt on your bed from? It is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i believe macys!! Let me see if i can find the link to it!

      Delete
    2. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/trina-turk-santorini-coral-bedding-collection?ID=620579&pla_country=US&CAWELAID=120156340000216531&CAGPSPN=pla&cm_mmc=Google_BedBath_PLA-_-Bed+%26+Bath+-+Quilts+%26+Bedspreads+-+PLA-_-26018935443_adc_pg_305_11103_5269b9a0e4b081de22e2fd91_26018935443_c-_-_mkwid_41808607572USA%7Cdc_26018935443%7C-%7C41808607572USA


      I believe this is it!!!

      Delete